2011-08-07

Music Goes Movies: High Fidelity (2000)

Since my timetables didn't allow me to write Flashback this Friday to you, I thought I'd give you something else, a new serie: Music Goes Movies. It will not be as regular as the other writings but comes every now and then. And what would be a better movie to start with than High Fidelity, one of my all-time favorites. The story is based to the book written by Nick Hornby and it tells about Rob (played by John Cusack), record store owner having his mid-life crisis. He struggles his way forward through the break-up with his girlfriend Laura (Iben Hjejle) with the questionable help of his two clerks played by Jack Black and Todd Louiso. The storyline follows the romantic life of Rob but includes music into it so seamlessly it's amazing. And not just those top five lists Rob has a habit to do but actual music star in the movie as well: Bruce Springsteen as himself. And Lisa Bonet playing Marie De Salle isn't without her musical credits either after being married to Lenny Kravitz and co-writing a couple of songs with him to his album Let Love Rule.

The movie is filled with awesome music clips from Green Day to Aretha Franklin to Queen, these wonderful artists making this movie a real musical treasure chest. And the subtle art of making a mix-tape.. I so know that feeling. Even the deleted scenes hold some treasures: one scene that didn't make the final movie is named "Records for sale", it is just perfect. Watch that scene and you'll know what I'm like when getting my fingers to any good record collection. And like those guys in this movie I probably could spell the word love as v-i-n-y-l.. And I do make those top five lists as well. :)

No comments: