2011-10-03

Alice Cooper - Welcome 2 My Nightmare

We know him as the Golf Monster. We know him as a son of a minister. We know him as a man who invented shock rock. Alice Cooper is known all around the world, and so is his music. Generation after generation we've been attracted (or repulsed) by his concerts involvong blood, live snakes, swords, electric chairs and all kinds of effects from horror movies to vaudeville. So it's no wonder his latest album has similar variety to it as his character and shows in general. Usually the change is for good but I'm not quite sure about Welcome 2 My Nightmare. It does have it's highlights but unfortunately they are only few. He might get this one forgiven (at least by me) in knowing he has a wicked humour and the fact that he's kept his career going on for four decades, meeting all kinds of strange people during those years, from Groucho Marx to Elvis Presley, Liberace and Salvador Dali. The man has certainly had a spectacular life but I'm still not really sure whether I should laugh out loud or cry when listening to this album.

The best track on the album is most definitely the opening track, I Was Made Of You. Although it is a bit declamatory, it has those Alice-like-ballad effects to it: beautiful lyrics combined with talented use of guitar solos and simple drum beat. As he said in his book, the best musicians know when NOT to play, what to leave out. Too bad the simple, pure rock (and quality) can't be heard on the whole album. Even though the third track tells us The Nightmare Returns the only actual way the nightmare really returns is to put on the original Welcome To My Nightmare -album. So, sorry Mr. Cooper, but this one won't end up to my collection. Love you though and luckily I still have some of the old ones missing from the collection, and while trying to get my hands on them (and the money to buy them with) I can listen to the oldies goldies like Poison, Hey Stoopid, School's Out and He's Back (The Man Behind The Mask).

No comments: