2011-08-01

Hugh Laurie - Let Them Talk

We know him as Jeeves and Dr. House. And now we'll learn to know him as a musician when Hugh Laurie plays old blues and jazz classics on his debut album Let Them Talk. And let me tell you that if you can't stand those multi-talented people who are good in everything they do, you'll probably end up hating Laurie as well. Because he is actually great next to the piano and his rough singing voice has enough edge to honour these old songs. His talent has even lured some well known artists to visit this album, Sir Tom Jones among others. I somehow though wish Laurie would've done this album all by himself, those visitors seem to stand out a bit too much and those songs differ from the ones Laurie is singing. Those songs might have worked better even as duets.

But the album is absolutely worth listening to. My favorite is the opening track, St. James Infirmary, which starts the album wonderfully, revealing how talented Laurie is as a pianist. The song has a long piano intro that turns into ravishing bass based bluespart with guitar and saxophone. And the following songs ain't any worse. You Don't Know My Mind and Six Cold Feet sound like you're in some dark, smokey bar in the middle of New Orleans. This album just might end up to my collection, it works perfectly like this in the middle of the night. The only problem I have with this album is that I feel like I need to learn to play piano (or guitar) as well as he does.. and a glass of whiskey to go along with the playing. ;)

http://www.hughlaurieblues.com/

No comments: